Monday, October 6, 2008

Hazel Miller



On Saturday night, my wife and I did a gig at a fundraiser for Friendship Bridge, an organization that helps Guatemalan woman escape poverty. We were the opening act for Hazel Miller, a fixture on the Denver jazz/blues/R&B for many years.

I had actually only heard Hazel in person once before, and only briefly. She is a very dynamic performer, belting out a variety of familiar and not-so-familiar tunes by folks like Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin.

The bassist was Rich Lamb. I've known Rich for a while now - and my wife has known him since they were basically kids.



Hazel had two keyboardists with her. Pictured first here is Dana Marsh, who has been working with Rich (both with Hazel and in other contexts) for many years.



The rest of Hazel's band was unfamiliar to me, but it featured Harry Padilla on keyboards and Frank Selman on guitar. The drummer was too obstructed and too much in the dark for me to get a good shot of him.



No comments: